Our last greatest task has been to attempt to assure the accuracy of the Nepali text in the folktale. We worked with Narad Adhikari, Nilhari Bhandari, and Kapil Dhungel. On the final design that was already with Sid Hall at Hobblebush Books,
Nilhari and Kapil found some misspellings. We no longer had a word document to edit. It was type set in InDesign. We were under deadline with Sid to send the book to the printer. It was Friday night. Kapil had penciled corrections on a sheet of white lined paper. Nilhari had written them on the manuscript. They didn’t always agree on words to be corrected. But we all wanted the book to be right. At the last minute, Sid found a way for us to get corrections to him. Narad typed up the words that he agreed needed to be corrected. Still using Preeti font, he typed these words into a word document. My job on Saturday morning was to go into Sid’s PDF file, underline the Nepali word that needed to be replaced. We e-mailed Narad’s word list – 15 words – and the pdf with 15 highlighted words back to Sid. In less than an hour Sid e-mailed back, “It worked like a charm.” I have no idea how he did it, but Sid brought those Nepali words into the type set book.
One other change: at the last minute we decided to do a split run, both hardback and paperback. Sid e-mailed: “You’re going to need another ISBN, then.” Now we know we need a new ISBN for the book in any format it’s in: hardback, paper, e-book, pdf. So quick, I got another ISBN for the hardback. Sid is a dream to work with. He does not panic. He simply mentioned that he thought we had proofread before we gave him the book. But every time we got a proof to look at, we saw a word or letter that had to change. Thank you, Sid. As I write this, The Pumpkin is in the hands of the printer.
Narad Adhikari spoke the words that are the title to this post.